What is a hashtag?
Hashtags are an essential tool in growing your audience online. Whether you want more likes to a social media post or page or you want to follow your business reputation hashtags are the key differentiator in expanding your reach.
They are a word or phrase at the end of a Tweet, Facebook or Instagram post that starts with the hash or pound symbol # and refers to anything relevant to your business.
How to use hashtags.
- A hashtag must be written as a single word, without any spaces.
- You can include numbers in a hashtag, but punctuation and special characters (like $ and %) won’t work.
- You can search for a hashtag using the search bar at the top of any page.
- You’ll only see posts that were shared with you.
How hashtags work.
You can add hashtags to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest posts. They are additional words that highlight your business, profession and topics related to your business. Hashtags are relatable words you use to build interest in your content. For example: When North Fork Marketing & Design posts on Instagram common hashtags are#startup #webdesign #startuplife #market #marketing #successful #motivational #nevernotworking #entrepreneurship #hardwork #succeed #goals #businessowner #business #working #businesswoman #purpose #socialmedia #hardworkpaysoff #grind #passion
Why use hashtags?
Hashtags are simply one of the most effective ways to grow your audience. If used properly you can find your target audience and skillfully drive traffic to your website. One of the ways to do this is by hinting toward specials or new updates to products on your website and direct users to visit your website
How many hashtags should be used?
This answer varies, not only does it vary from post to post but from expert to expert and social media platform.
Instagram: My golden rule is no more than 20 …but Instagram allows you up to 30. It’s up to you but I think more than 25 is excessive. That said, if there are a lot of hashtags that fit a particular situation, then use them but keep them specific and controlled and only pertaining to your topic.
Twitter: Recommendation is to use no more than 3 at a time. This is not only because of the 140 character limit but you certainly don’t want to exceed the words you use in your tweet.
Facebook: No more than 3, and keep them very specific to your post.
How #SmallBusiness can use hashtags effectively.
- Popular Hashtags. The easiest way to get started is by using popular hashtags.#throwbackthursday, #tbt, is a weekly theme where people and brands share things from their past. This is one of the few hashtags to gain any traction on Facebook. Check out this post for more on popular hashtags
- Uncover the hashtags popular in your industry. Easiest way to do this is by going on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and do your own recon and research hashtags in your field.
- Use them in each post. Instagram posts should contain hashtags, but comments, should include plenty of relevant hashtags as well.
Today, hashtags are the most effective way to grow your audience. If used properly you can find your right audience and skillfully drive traffic to your website. Many people research products, news, celebrities, foods, exercises, clothing you name it. By using hashtags you can increase the chances of being found.
Hashtags have evolved over the years, they have gone from a Social Media Manager’s secret, to a fun way for people to express themselves. Nothing explains this better than Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake showing you what a Twitter or Instagram conversation in 2013 sounded like in real life